Are YOU the new CFO of Wits University?
Do you have what it takes to be the new chief financial officer at The University of Witwatersrand (Wits)? CFO South Africa helps companies and organisations find the right finance executive! See the full advert below.
5-year fixed term, performance-based contract
The Chief Financial Officer is a member of the Senior Executive Team and is directly responsible for the financial sustainability of the University and the Wits Group. S/he is also responsible for establishing a sound fiscal position for the University so that it can be strategically positioned as an internationally renowned research-intensive and teaching institution.
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, the successful candidate will be expected to provide strategic leadership and control with regard to:
Fiscal Leadership and Oversight:
- Oversee the full finance function encompassing central control over revenue and expenditure
- Oversee the devolved finance management functions within the University
- Oversee the Treasury function, including the investment portfolios of the University
- Provide strategic financial oversight and stewarding of the entities and companies in the Wits group through his/her representation on appropriate governance structures
- Provide the Senior Executive Team with advice on the University's financial strategies.
Governance and Reporting:
- Compile and implement financial policies and procedures within an acceptable corporate governance framework
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of group and university annual financial statements and mid-year financial statements in accordance with DHET regulations and IFRS
- Ensure accurate and timely production of the financial aspects of annual performance plans, annual reports and integrated reports
- Develop and implement effective financial risk management, including financial modelling for the development of financial sustainability strategy for the University
- Provide financial reporting to the Department of Higher Education and Training, funding organisations, donors and other stakeholders, in accordance with applicable standards and regulations.
- Manage a sound financial operational system on the ERP platform
- Manage supply chain and procurement policies and procedures
- Be responsible for asset management and insurance policies and practices within the University
- Ensure compliance with relevant financial and tax regulations.
Liaison with Stakeholders:
- Liaise and interact with internal and external auditors
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders and represent the University at applicable higher education forums.
- Chartered Accountant and member of the SA Institute of Chartered Accountants, or an equivalent professional accounting body (preferred)
- Experience in a Higher Education environment and an understanding of its challenges (preferred)
- Proven experience in a senior finance executive role of at least 10 years at holding group level
- Knowledge of post-retirement pension, provident and medical schemes/funding arrangements
- Knowledge of financial information systems
- Negotiation skills and experience in budgeting processes in a complex organisation
- Proven experience/application of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Appreciation of best practice in corporate governance, procurement and risk management
- High level interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution abilities.
Remuneration: An attractive remuneration package is offered commensurate with the seniority of the position.
Further information about the position is available from the Senior Director: Human Resources, Dr Kgomotso Kasonkola at e-mail: [email protected]
Please apply via i-Recruitment: www.wits.ac.za/about-wits/vacancies/
Please include the following:
- A covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for
- A detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees
- Certified copies of qualifications and South African ID.
Closing date: 1 July 2016 (note by CFO South Africa: this deadline has been extended)
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the under-represented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University reserves the right to verify all information provided by candidates and to verify credit standing. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with short-listed candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.