Meet Christine Ramon (AngloGold Ashanti), winner of the Finance & Technology Award at the CFO Awards 2016
“Just being recognised as CFOs is great, along with the fact that we are making an impact in the business community. I would like to thank CFO South Africa and the sponsors for this event," said Christine Ramon, CFO of AngloGold Ashanti, on receiving this year’s Finance and Technology Award at the CFO Awards 2016, held on 12 May at the stunning Summer Place. Pictured right: Christine Ramon with Kholiwe Makhohliso (Oracle) Christine was joined at the awards by her three CA siblings: Justine Mazzocco (exco member Deloitte), Veran Kathan (CFO Vodacom Business Africa) and Mark Kathan (CFO AECI), the latter a nominee of the CFO Awards in both 2015 and 2016.
- Join us at the CFO Awards 2017, the "Oscars" of South Africa's finance industry, being held on 11 May 2017.
- CFO Awards 2016: Glitz, glam & winners.
- Calling for nominations for CFO Awards 2017.
Watch the video of Christine giving her acceptance speech on receiving the award for Finance & Technology.
Christine says her confidence, together with her ability to recommend and present, capturing both the current market dynamics and past experience, is part of her recipe for success and helped her when she first joined AngloGold Ashanti in 2014.
The mining firm was "a burning platform" after a proposed split and equity raise was shot down by shareholders, and something dire needed to be done. "The CEO needed the strength of a CFO to put up a non-emotional case in an emotional environment," Christine recalls. That case was the sale of the Cripple Creek & Victor mine in the US, which erased a huge chunk of debt and turned things around.
Besides finance and strategy, Christine is heavily involved in IT, which received a boost as part of the shared services centre in South Africa.
Kholiwe Makhohliso, Oracle's country MD, on presenting the award to Christine, said: "It is that time where you need to think in terms of the new outlook of this disruptive nature we are in, where the finance and the technology come together to ensure you are driving the business growth and models that are going to drive innovation."
Watch highlights of the CFO Awards 2016, which took place at the beautiful Summer Place on 12 May.
- Next year's CFO Awards will take place on 11 May 2017, once again at Summer Place in Johannesburg. If you would like to buy a table, join the panel of judges or become a partner, visit CFOawards.co.za. Attendance is free for members.
- Stay connected, up to date and in the loop on what is happening in the world of finance and keep track of newly published expert insights and interviews with CFOs and CEOs. Become an online member and receive our newsletter, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and join us on LinkedIn.