Finance Indaba 2016: ACTSA champions treasury management
"Key to the CFO’s success is having a reliable “wingman” in the form of the Corporate Treasurer, who provides support in not only managing financial variable risks, ensuring access to and supplying liquidity to business operations, but also in identifying, assessing and preparing for potential threats to business liquidity which may not be patently obvious and are difficult to identify when part of the myriad of issues the CFO is contending with," says Nigel Grey, chairman of the Association of Corporate Treasurers of Southern Africa (ACTSA), a gold partner at the Finance Indaba Africa 2016 on 13 and 14 October 2016 at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg.
With the event around the corner, we will be chatting to all the Indaba partners, asking them why they are joining the event and what their most important message for finance professionals is.
Do you want to hear more about why an ACTSA member can be your CFO's reliable "wingman"? Do you want to be informed about the latest and greatest in finance? Then don't miss the Finance Indaba Africa 2016.
Why will you be present at the Finance Indaba?
"Our intention is to expose our association whose mission is to promote the practice of treasury management to key business decision-makers, strategic and tactical influencers and those operating in the financial environment."
What are the benefits of membership?
"ACTSA aims to provide its members with:
- Ongoing networking opportunities, exposure to international treasury practices and creates a forum for the discussion of industry-specific issues.
- Providing an important "Bridge" between Corporates and the National Treasury and SARB on many important initiatives proposed and regulations affecting Corporates in relation to Treasury matters .
- An ideal forum where treasurers, bankers and auditors meet providing an opportunity to identify current issues. Breakfast presentations are held on a regular basis most of which are free for members or at a significantly reduced fee.
- ACTSA Members enjoy an annual subscription to the South African Treasurers Journal at no cost. ACTSA is also an active member of the International Group of Treasury Associations and members are able to access information on treasury issues and international best practice trends.
- Members of ACTSA have voting rights and may be elected to the board."
Tell us about your training initiatives.
"ACTSA in partnership with the University of Johannesburg have successfully developed a programme, The Fundamentals of Treasury Practice, comprising seven individual short courses that unpacks treasury and its role in the financial sector.
"The purpose of this short learning programme is to provide a budding treasurer with an opportunity to study in a field focused on treasury management and thereafter apply the knowledge learnt in their working career in treasury management. Applicants will be required to understand theoretical financial aspects of corporate treasury, while developing practical and strategic insights into treasury and risk management. The Fundamentals of Treasury Practice consists of seven independent modules (each a month long) covered during the course of the year.
"In addition to the short course, ACTSA hosts a number of workshops/training courses throughout the year to ensure the level of treasury is maintained and/or enhanced. The workshops are treasury specific covering topics that are relevant and important to the growth and professionalism of the Treasurer."
What are you going to talk about?
Title: Who is your "wingman"?
"In a world where the pace of change is so rapid and the expectation of disruptive technology challenging the status quo seeming only a matter of "when" rather than "if", CFOs face heightened challenges in ensuring that their business has adequate liquidity to not only survive a disruption, but to thrive.
"Key to the CFO's success is having a reliable "wingman" in the form of the Corporate Treasurer, who provides support in not only managing financial variable risks, ensuring access to and supplying liquidity to business operations, but also in identifying, assessing and preparing for potential threats to business liquidity which may not be patently obvious and are difficult to identify when part of the myriad of issues the CFO is contending with.
"Hear how CFOs can sleep easier at night by focusing their Treasurers' efforts in key areas that will enable them to support the CFO in managing liquidity and financial variable risks in a manner that is supportive of the business achieving its strategic goals."