Bruce Sneddon - CFO Auction Alliance: `Finance will only be one part of the role of the future CFO`
CFO South Africa has interviewed a large number of CFOs and CEOs of leading South African companies. Next in our series is Bruce Sneddon, CFO of Auction Alliance, one of South Africa’s leading auction services groups, staffing 175 people and a turnover of R300m. Bruce joined Auction Alliance in his capacity as Chief Financial Officer in December 2009. As a qualified Chartered Accountant, Mr. Sneddon completed both his under- and post-graduate studies at UCT, followed by his articles at Deloitte. Prior to his position at Alliance Group, Bruce acted as CFO at Integer, Finance Executive at Truworths, CEO and former Group Financial Director at Appleton, as well as being Group Accountant for Norwich Holdings. 1. What do you enjoy most about your job?
What I enjoy most about the job is the variety of it and the challenges these bring. My role includes responsibility for all administration, Finance, Operations and IT.
2. How do you perceive the changed role of the CFO in the last ten years?
In my perception there has been a big shift away from the traditional finance only role to a wider specialist who is now responsible for a lot more of the operation and IT side of the business
3. How do you see the role of the CFO evolving in the next say five to ten years?
I think the above trend will continue - finance will only be one part of the role of the future CFO.
4. Which achievement or project in your business career are you most proud of?
I have been involved in two listings and a few Group restructures, where the learning curve has been enormous.
5. Which skill do you think a finance professional should master to be most successful in his work?
He or she should have attention to detail and the ability to multi task.
6. What strengths have other people commented on about you and your accomplishments, and what strengths do you see in yourself?
That I am disciplined, I have good attention to detail and possess the ability to multi task. I think I communicate clearly and succinctly.
7. Which education would you recommend for a successful career in business?
8. If you never had to work another day in your life, how would you spend your days?
I would spend all my time with my family!
9. Who is your role model in life and why?
My role model in life is Lance Armstrong, because to me he shows that hard work and perseverance pays offs.
10. What vital piece of advice would you give young finance professionals?
That there is no substitute for hard work, but just make sure you have a lot of fun along the way.
Stay connected, up to date and in the loop on what is happening in the world of finance by subscribing to our newsletter and following us on Twitter. Also to keep track of newly published interviews with CFOs and CEOs.
category: Interviewing the CFO